Ephraim Francis Baldwin designed over 500 buildings during his fifty-year career. His work can be found from New York to Ohio and down to Georgia but 80% of his work was in Maryland. About 150 of his buildings are still standing. A large number of his commissions were for the Catholic Church and for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, where he became the head architect in 1872 replacing his mentor John Rudolph Niernsee.
The Point of Rocks station is one of his best know and one of the most photographed train stations in the country. It is situated at the junction of the B&O Old Main Line (running to Baltimore) and the Metropolitan Branch (running to Washington, D.C.). The Metro Branch also opened in 1873 and became the principal route for passenger trains between Baltimore, Washington and points west.