Boyce is much the same size today as it was in 1912. The town began in 1881 when the Shenandoah Valley Railroad arrived and the town was incorporated in 1910 with a population of 312. During the early 1910’s the now Norfolk & Western Railroad was upgrading some of their railroad station and planned to replace the original station in Boyce with a new small wooden station. The local population, many of whom were wealth land owners, thought that the planned new station was too modest for their town and the community raised the funds privately to build the station pictured here. The station constructed is uncharacteristically large for a town the size of Boyce. In fact it was larger and more elaborate that the station in the county seat of Berryville, a much larger town, only eight miles to the north.