228 E Jefferson St, Iowa City, IA 52245, United States, USA 52245
The first Mass in what is now Iowa City was celebrated by frontier missionary Rev. Samuel Charles Mazzuchelli, OP on December 20, 1840. The cornerstone for the present church was laid on October 27, 1867. Hugh V. Gildea was contracted to build the new church. The new building was built over the old church as the parish continued to worship there.
Architect Builder Engineer:
Hugh Gilles, A. Groebel
St. Mary’s Church and Rectory in Iowa City, Iowa
The church is constructed of red brick in the Romanesque Revival style. It features a large open interior without columns. The tall wooden high altar features a painting of the Visitation, which is flanked by statues of St. Patrick and St. Boniface.