The Epiphany Reformed Episcopal parish was founded in 1878 as a place where Anglicans not pledged to the Episcopal bishop of Michigan might worship. In 1880, the congregation built a small frame church, and in 1889 changed their name to Trinity Episcopal.
James E. Scripps, owner of the Detroit News, was a member of the Trinity congregation. Scripps was born in London, and developed a fascination with historic English churches. He commissioned sketches of churches in England, and in 1893 put up $55,000 to build the current church building.
James E. Scripps commissioned the architects Mason & Rice to design this English Gothic style church. The floorplan of Trinity Episcopal Church is laid out in a cruciform pattern. The walls are two feet thick Trenton limestone, and the root is sheathed with copper. Smooth brown limestone used as trim offsets the white limestone used for the bulk of the walls. The 85-foot-tall (26 m) central, supported by stone arches and buttresses, tower contains ten bells. The exterior holds over two hundred carvings, including gargoyles that serve as water drains. Inside the sanctuary, ten stone angels supporting the nave beams face inward; several windows contain stained glass, including a Tiffany, a LaFarge, and a window over the altar was created by Franz Mayer & Co. of Germany. A 1200-pipe organ manufactured by the Jardine Company of New York City is also inside